Orthodontic treatments improve the alignment and appearance of crowded or crooked teeth and correct any problems with an ineffective bite.
Without treatment, teeth are more prone to damage, jaw muscles can be strained, and irregular development of the teeth and jaw might even affect the shape of your face.
Treatment is usually available from age 12 upwards and typically involves some type of braces system — but some options are far less invasive than you’d imagine and fit conveniently with your daily routine.
The regular check-ups that are a mainstay of our general dentistry services allow us to identify the possible need for orthodontic intervention as early as possible.
The next stage might involve taking x-rays, taking photos and making models of your teeth — this allows us to assess their current state, predict how they’re likely to develop and recommend the most appropriate treatment from the following options:
- Fixed braces — a non-removable option consisting of brackets glued to each tooth and connected with tires. These are used when a number of teeth need to be corrected and you may have to avoid certain food and drink during your treatment.
- Removable braces — plastic plates that cover the roof of the mouth and clip on to a few teeth to carry out limited movements.
- Invisalign aligners — this system features clear and discreet aligners you can remove when eating. They facilitate complex tooth corrections with rapid and transformative results.
- Retainers — used towards the end of some orthodontic treatments to secure straightened teeth in place while the gum and bone that houses them makes final adjustments.
Severe cases might involve braces followed up by a surgical treatment that moves the jaw into the correct position — we’ll advise as early as possible if this type of referral might be required.
- The right orthodontic treatment can achieve excellent results within 18 to 24 months, but patients using advanced treatments like Invisalign have reported noticeable improvements in as little as three months.
- A straighter smile and optimised bite can transform the appearance of the entire face — dramatically boosting your confidence.
- Orthodontics promote peak teeth performance and, in some cases, can alleviate the symptoms of related conditions like sleep apnoea.
- Results can be long-lasting — provided you wear your appliances as advised, keep your teeth clean and observe your orthodontist’s dietary advice.
If you’d like us to advise on the best bespoke orthodontic options for your requirements, please call us on 0131 466 8206 for a chat — we’re delighted to offer our dental expertise.